Revel is ready to ride again.
The electric moped company, which suspended operations last month, got approval from the de Blasio administration to restart its ride-sharing service Thursday with new safety measures.
Riders must take pictures of themselves wearing a helmet and ace a 21-question quiz, twice.
“We’re really trying to have you learn, we’re really trying to change the behavior in how you think about this vehicle," said Frank Reig, the CEO and co-founder of Revel.
Revel will also have the ability to use its technology to spot mopeds traveling the wrong way on streets and being used riding in restricted areas such as parks, highways and major bridges.
Riders violating the rules will be slapped with a seven-day suspension and then a permanent ban after a second violation.
“Folks that think it’s OK to ride a Revel in Central Park or Riverside Park, even after the in-app safety training, even after we push everybody through that, they’re in for a rude awakening," Reig said.
Use of the revel scooters soared as the company expanded into more neighborhoods.
Many New Yorkers came to see the service as a way to get around without risking exposure to the coronavirus.
But NY1 reported that at least one hospital reported a spike in moped-related injuries.
Revel suspended operation after the deaths of two riders, including Channel 2 reporter Nina Kapur, who police say was not wearing a helmet while on the backseat of a moped that crashed.
A third person died on August 4, a week after he crashed while not wearing a helmet.
"I thought that the pause was unnecessary, but it reflects the value that they have on safety and on the lives of New Yorkers," said Councilman Antonio Reynoso (D-Brooklyn).
Daniel Flanzig, an attorney who has sued Revel on behalf of injured clients, approved of the new safety measures.
"It's a good reminder, and I guess you want to ingratiate into people that these things are not toys, that there is definitely a risk in using them," Flanzig said.
Revel has the blessing of the de Blasio administration to relaunch its service, but the company is on notice. A City Hall spokesman said, "dangerous operations will not be tolerated."
"We're watching closely for reckless practices, and we won't hesitate to suspend shared-moped services the moment we see them," City Hall spokesman Mitch Schwartz said.