New York City was again under curfew Tuesday night, the second day of restrictions that are being extended through Sunday following several nights of violence and looting across the city following peaceful George Floyd protests.

The curfew will be in effect from 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. every day through Sunday.

NYPD Chief of Department Terence Monahan says all vehicular traffic, except for essential exceptions, are banned south of 96th Street in Manhattan during the curfew.

In addition, Uber, Lyft, and for-hire vehicle rides were suspended until 1230 a.m., and started trips at 1230 a.m. for essential workers coming and going to work, as well as people seeking medical treatment or supplies overnight.

Taxis were allowed to operate during this time, but also only for essential workers and those seeking medical treatment and supplies. Passengers may be required to provide a valid reason for their travel to NYPD.

But enforcement of the curfew was not consistent Tuesday. For example, some officers near the Manhattan Bridge did not arrest demonstraters for being outside, while others did. And about 20 were arrested at 14th Street and 5th Avenue near Union Square for being out after the curfew, according to one protester.

De Blasio says the extended curfew timeframe is necessary because NYPD officers are "holding the city together" while finding common ground with protesters.

"We will find a way through," said de Blasio. "If you want to protest, do it in the daytime hours and then go home."

The mayor said the city will enter phase one of reopening from the coronavirus pandemic Monday, June 8, but noted he is worried the health crisis will be worsened by the mass gatherings.

He also dismissed any suggestion the city might need help from the National Guard to control looting, saying it would not be "wise" for them to be called in.

Police Commissioner Dermot Shea said the department's officers will not budge in their mission to protect citizens and property owners despite facing one of the most difficult circumstances the city has seen in decades.

"If you're looking at the New York City Police Department and talking about crime and criminal justice and not talking about other parts of the system - from the legislators that need to arm the police with tools, from the prosecutors that need to stand up and say it won't be tolerated, you're missing the point," Shea said. "We cannot have people entering a system and being released before the police officers."

The mayor's announcement came after police faced a chaotic night Monday that ended in more than 700 arrests and at least one officer seriously injured as looters destroyed numerous stores, broke glass, and stole items.

Businesses across the city that had been boarded up in anticipation of looters were quickly overwhelmed.

Herald Square in Midtown was one of the areas that saw windows smashed and looters taking whatever they could grab from stores like Best Buy and Urban Outfitters.

At one point, looters knocked over garbage cans and broke through Macy's boarded up flagship store.

An NYPD officer was seriously hurt after being run over by a car in the Bronx overnight.

It was one of several attacks on police that were caught on video.

The NYPD said the sergeant was struck by a black sedan around 12:45 a.m. as officers were investigating looting near the intersection of Walton Avenue and East 170th Street in Mt. Eden.

Police said the officer was taken to Lincoln Hospital in stable condition.

No arrests were made as of early Tuesday morning.

Police did not confirm which stores were broken into, but a Chase Bank had its windows smashed and a pawn shop across the street was completely cleared out.

The Sergeants Benevolent Association posted video to their Twitter of a uniform officer being attacked by three men.

A few looters were also caught on camera knocking down an officer in Manhattan as they emerged from a store.

The looting and vandalism overshadowed more peaceful events earlier in the day as protesters again gathered to protest police brutality and the death of George Floyd in Minnesota.

In a show of support at Washington Square Park, NYPD Chief of Department Terrence Monahan took a knee with protesters at one point Monday.

"This is out of hand. Minnesota was wrong. They were arrested, which they should be. There's not a police officer here that thinks Minnesota was justified. We stand with you," Monahan said.

Monahan also urged the crowd to continue to protest peacefully and end the violence. 

At McCarren Park in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn, thousands of people gathered for a silent vigil.

Demonstrators sat quietly for a period of more than 10 minutes before marching towards the BQE.

There was a similar silent vigil held at Astoria Park in Queens.

Police and protesters appeared to communicate, and did not behave aggressively towards one another.

There were also other protests in Brooklyn on Monday night, including a demonstration near Barclays Center.

A lot of the protests have been organic, picking up people as they move through the streets. But Barclays has become one of the key meeting points. Thousands of protesters gathered in an area that had seen some violent confrontations over the weekend.

Monday night's protests mostly stayed calm.

Demonstrators marched, lit candles, and spoke out against all the violence.

"You got people coming out, looting, destroying people's lives, their stores, their way of life. It's horrific and you never hear leaders talk about that enough. They need to address that as emphatically as this situation with this gentleman dying the way he did," said one protester.

There was on incident earlier in the evening where a man jumped over the barricades and challenged police.

He was eventually arrested.