President Donald Trump held a briefing at the White House on the coronavirus on March 23, 2020.
Here is some of what he said:
- At Monday’s briefing, Donald Trump said the federal government has obtained large quantities of hydroxychloroquine which will be distributed in New York for clinical trials beginning early Tuesday.
- He says there will be 10,000 units, which will be distributed to "a lot of people in New York City."
- He called Hydroxychloroquine "a gift from God" and a "game changer" and said there is very little semblance of the virus in countries where malaria is prevalent, and this drug is used. He said vaccines are "coming along quickly."
- Trump said it is very important to protect the Asian community, whom he called "good people," and said the virus is not their fault. This, despite his past insistence on calling it the "Chinese Virus."
- He said FEMA is distributing 8 million N95 masks and 13 million surgical masks, with many going to New York and Washington State.
- Trump said America will soon be "open for business," saying it will be much sooner than the three or four months he’s heard some people mention.
- He reiterated his statement that he’s "not gonna let the cure be worse than the problem." He says a decision will be made at the end of the 15-day period.
- He urged Congress to work on a relief bill in a bipartisan way, saying this is "not a time for political agendas."
- The federal government is postponing the deadline for compliance with Real I.D. requirements.
- Trump said he signed Executive Order 4512, which prohibits the hoarding of equipment and supplies like hand sanitizer and masks and provides for the prosecution of price gougers.