TEXAS – As Christmas wraps up people around the world are basking in a sea of unwrapped presents.
For those looking to prepare for the New Year and get rid of their Christmas trees there are several options.
The Pedernales Electric Cooperative is offering free tree recycling. Undecorated real Christmas trees can be dropped off at the PEC’s district offices.
If you won’t be able to make it to one of the PEC’s offices, the Texas Disposal Systems will pick up your tree curbside from Dec. 26 to Jan. 13. The tree must be undecorated and a maximum of four feet in length. The trees should be bundled with rope or twine.
Where to recycle trees:
- Curbside Collections: City of Austin curbside customers can recycle their trees at the curb! Please remove all decorations from tree. Please set out your tree by 6:30 a.m. on your regular collection day and remove all decorations and stands from the tree. Trees over 6 feet should be cut in half. Do not place tree in a plastic bag.
- Zilker Park Drop-off: Not a City of Austin curbside customer? No problem! All residents can drop off their trees for recycling at Zilker Park. Trees with flocking (artificial snow) are not accepted, please remember to remove all decorations and stands. Drop off is between 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the following dates: Dec. 30, Dec. 31, Jan. 6, Jan. 7. Trees collected will be turned into mulch and will be available for free on a first-come, first-served basis beginning Jan. 18, 9 a.m.
- TDS Landfill: 3016 FM 1327, Creedmoor, Texas.
- Eco Depot: 4001 RR 620 South, Bee Cave, Texas.
- Organics By Gosh: 13602 FM 969, Austin, TX 78724 , 512-276-1211.
- Walker Aero Environmental (JV Dirt): 3600 FM 973 North Austin, Texas 78725.
- Whittlesey Landscape Supplies: 3219 S IH 35 Round Rock, Texas 78664 or 629 Dalton Lane, Austin, Texas 78742.
- Travis County Transfer Station: 2625 Woodall Dr. Leander, Texas 78641.
- Travis County Service Center: 6013 Blue Bluff Rd Austin, Texas 78724.
- Del Valle Softball Complex (Behind the Southwest Rural Center) — 3614 FM 973 Del Valle, Texas 78617.
- Kinser Ranch LLC.: Starts at $1.00/per tree to $20/per load. For more information: 512-748-0800. 10701 Kinser Lane, Austin, Texas 78736.
- Sid Mourning Tree Service: Pricing varies. Call for fee information: 512-420-0733. 3810 Medical Parkway Austin, TX 78756.
- Good Guys Tree Service: Prices vary. For more information: 512-743-3909. 11601 Anderson Mill Rd., Austin, TX 78750.
- Austin Tree Surgeons: Pickup requests only. Prices start at $25 for pickup and disposal. For more information: 512-301-4400. 13062 W. Hwy. 290 #112, Austin, TX 78750.
- Austin Zoo: Another alternative to recycling your tree is to donate it to the Austin Zoo where it can be used as enrichment for some of the animals. Trees can be dropped off any day of the week between 9:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. at the zoo's gift shop. 10808 Rawhide Trail, Austin, TX 78736. For questions, call 512-746-8939.
- Trees accepted from Dec. 26 to Jan. 8. 365 Highway 29 East Bertram, Texas.
- Trees accepted from Dec. 26 to Jan. 5. 1530 FM 2673 Canyon Lake, Texas.
- Austin Wood Recycling: $5/per tree. For more information: 512-259-7430. 3875 E. Whitestone Blvd., Cedar Park, TX 78613. Trees accepted from Dec. 26 to Jan. 9.
- Trees accepted from Dec. 26 to Jan. 2. 446 Highway 83 North in Junction, Texas.
- Trees accepted from Dec. 26 to Jan. 5. 1810 FM 150 West Kyle, Texas.
- Trees accepted from Dec. 26 to Jan. 9. 10625 West Highway 29 Liberty Hill, Texas.
- Trees accepted from Dec. 26 to Jan. 8. 3105 Highway 281 North Marble Falls, Texas.
- Trees accepted from Dec. 26 to Jan. 12. 800 South Heatherwilde Pflugerville, Texas.
From 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Jan. 6 and 7, and on Jan. 13 and 14, bring it to one of the drop-off locations listed below:
- Rusty Lyons Sports Center 6300 McCullough, 78212
- Bitters Brush* 1800 Wurzbach Parkway, 78216
- Southeast District Center 7402 S. New Braunfels, 78223
- Southside Drop-Off Center 5450 Castroville Road, 78227
- Northeast District Center 10303 Tool Yard, 78233
- Northwest District Center 6802 Culebra Road, 78238
- Nelson Gardens* 8963 Nelson Road, 78252
- Eisenhower Park 19399 NW Military Highway, 78257
- Stone Oak Park 20395 Stone Oak Parkway, 78258
*Bitters Brush and Nelson Gardens locations are open every day from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and will accept trees the entire month of January if you can't make it one of the drop-off dates above. Real Christmas trees can also be composted by placing in a green organics cart. Larger trees may require trimming to fit loosely in the cart with the lid closed.
- Free mulch — Approximately one to two weeks after each of these events, Christmas tree mulch will be available at the Bitters Brush and Nelson Gardens locations for free while supplies last. For more information, call the city’s help line at 311, or visit sanantonio.gov/swmd.