NEW YORK - Fallout continues over a video showing New York City police officers hitting two men with batons earlier this week.

The NYPD and the police union are blasting a decision by the Manhattan District Attorney to drop charges against one of the men, and request no bail for the other.

This video shows the incident, which took place Tuesday in Washington Heights near the 168th Street subway station.

Two uniformed transit officers, two responding detectives, and an off duty officer are seen hitting and kicking one of the men.

Aaron Grissom is charged with resisting arrest and attempted assault but was released on his own recognizance.

The Manhattan DA dropped charges against Sidney Williams over a lack of probable cause.

In a statement PBA President Pat Lynch said, "The Manhattan DA’s office needs to wake up and realize that police officers cannot do our job when prosecutors won’t do theirs....if you have any involvement whatsoever in assaulting a police officer, you will face charges and spend real time behind bars."

Police Commissioner James O'Neill tweeted, "The decision to seek charges against only one perp in the Washington Heights subway arrest and to seek no bail at all puts the safety of cops and the public in jeopardy, and sends the entirely wrong message to New Yorkers."

Police say the two individuals have been arrested multiple times including for fighting with police.

Grissom has had 19 prior arrests including assualt and menacing police.

In a statement, Danny Frost, director of communications for the Manhattan DA’s office, said, “Our Office is conducting a full, fair, and independent investigation into the alleged offenses for which Mr. Grissom and Mr. Williams were arrested. We are separately conducting a full, fair, and independent investigation into the force used by Officers during this encounter. With regard to Mr. Williams, our Office does not currently have probable cause to believe that this defendant committed a crime. Accordingly, we are deferring a charging decision as to Mr. Williams pending the completion of this investigation.”