The men accused of fatally stabbing a teenager in the Bronx earlier this month are receiving special protection while behind bars, sources told NY1 on Saturday evening.
Law enforcement source said the eight men are being kept in protective custody in various jails around the city because this is such a high-profile case.
Sources said if they have to be moved out of their housing area, all other movement in the jail is stopped until they reach their destinations.
According to sources, several correction officers and a captain have to escort them and the officers are also carrying handheld cameras to document everything.
Sources told NY1 that there are fears that the alleged Trinitarios gang members could get into fights or get attacked by other inmates for the killing of 15-year-old Lesandro "Junior" Guzman-Feliz.
In a statement, the city's Department of Correction would only say it "has taken appropriate measures to ensure the safety of these individuals."
Six of the accused men — the ones who were apprehended in Paterson, New Jersey — are expected back in court on Monday in the Bronx.
Police say Guzman-Feliz was dragged out of a bodega in the Belmont section of the Bronx by suspected gang members and slashed in the neck with a machete on June 20. The 15-year-old was pronounced dead at a local hospital. It is believed to be a case of mistaken identity.
The killing of Guzman-Feliz has sparked outrage nationwide on social media, with the hashtag #JusticeForJunior being picked up around the country.
Suspects Jose Muniz, Jose Tavarez, Jonaiki Martinez-Estrella, Daniel Fernandez, Manuel Rivera, and Antonio Hernandez-Santiago face a slew of charges, including murder, gang assault, and manslaughter.
The other two suspects, 19-year-old Kevin Alvarez and 23-year-old Elvin Garcia, have both pleaded not guilty on murder and manslaughter charges.