NY1 on Tuesday night looked into the opioid epidemic in the city with a special report, along with a live town hall, at which safe injection sites were hotly debated.
That special report introduced us to people who are touched by the opioid epidemic, people battling opioid addiction, law enforcement who work to cut supplies on the streets, families that have lost oved ones.
The live town law hall event included some of them and other New Yorkers who have been personally affected.
Earlier this month the city released a study showing the mayor's support to pilot safe injection sites in the city. This was discussed in our special and sparked debate at the town hall among some panelists.
Department of Health Commissioner Dr. Mary Bassett and City Council Speaker Corey Johnson explained why they are in favor of the pilot:
Special Narcotics Prosecutor for New York Bridget Brennan expressed her serious reservations about safe injection facilities:
The NYPD's chief of detectives spoke about law enforcements efforts, acknowledging they cannot arrest their way out of the problem, saying the department is doing more to target high-level drug dealers and helping connect people who are using to services.
WHERE TO GET HELP
- To get help and support to stop using, call 1-888-NYC-WELL (1-888-692-9355), text “WELL” to 651-73 or call 311. For medical emergencies, call 911.
- Find out where to get an overdose rescue kit with naloxone, call 311— ask for “overdose prevention.”
- To order a 12-minute overdose prevention DVD, call 311.
- Find a right drug or alcohol use treatment program with the Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator
- See the Syringe Exchange Schedule and Sterile Syringe Access Programs (PDF) in NYC
- If you are enrolled in Medicaid, learn about available Behavioral Health Services.
- See the Buprenorphine Physician Locator and brochure (PDF)
- See participating pharmacies that provide Naloxone, a medication that reverses opioid overdose, on our NYC Health Map or download a list of participating NYC pharmacies (PDF).