Two children are in critical condition after a faulty air conditioner caused a fire at a high-rise in Brooklyn on Saturday, the city fire department said.

The fire started around 2:51 p.m. in a first-floor apartment at the Marlboro Houses on West 11th St. near Avenue V in Gravesend, the FDNY said.

The two children in critical condition are a four-year-old girl and an eight-year-old boy, the fire department said.

A man and a woman are also in critical condition. In addition, a nine-month-old girl and a nine-year-old girl are in serious but stable condition, according to officials.

Two other people suffered less severe injuries.

About 80 firefighters were needed to get the blaze under control within two hours.

Neighbors described seeing young children being pulled from the blaze.

"We were all trying to run in and save the kids because that's all they wanted, the kids out," one neighbor said. "They told me that the kids are not in good condition, that the kids inhaled too much smoke."

The fire department said smoke detectors were present in the apartment.