Health officials announced changes Monday at one of the city's early education programs, less than two weeks after a 3-year-old child died from an allergic reaction.

"That child, however it happened, was exposed to a trigger food," said Dr. Mary Bassett, the city's health commissioner. "That shouldn't happen. There should be supervisory structures in place that make sure that that doesn't happen."

Officials said all early education programs must now follow a child's individual health plan and call 911 when there is a medical emergency.

Elijah Silvera, who was enrolled at an Administration for Children's Services-sponsored program in Harlem, died Nov. 3 after he was given a grilled cheese sandwich, according to his parents. His parents said it was widely known and documented that he had a severe dairy allergy.

Health officials closed the center for failing to follow its own safety plan and failing to supervise the child.

"I want to assure — in particular, all parents of kids who are in our early learn centers — that we are doing everything we can to make sure that an incident like this never happens again," said David Hansell, the commissioner of the Administration for Children's Services.

NY1 was told that the center will not reopen until officials are confident it will be run properly.