President Donald Trump returned to his hometown Thursday night for the first time since his inauguration.

Air Force One landed at Kennedy Airport just before 6:30 p.m.

Trump joined Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull at the Intrepid Museum in Manhattan on Thursday evening.

They commemorated the 75th anniversary of World War II's Battle of the Coral Sea, when U.S. and Australian forces teamed up to fight the Japanese.

Aboard the Intrepid, the Queens-native had his first face-to-face meeting with Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull.

The leaders got off to a rocky start early on; President Trump cut short a phone call with the prime minister, apparently upset that Turnbull expected Trump to accept hundreds of refugees from Australia because President Obama had agreed to it.

"We had a very, very good call," Trump said before he spoke at the Intrepid ceremony. "That was a little bit of fake news"

Later, on stage, he admitted it had not gone quite so smoothly. "It got a little bit testy," Trump said.

Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani was spotted at the event. New York Mayor Bill de Blasio and New York. Gov. Cuomo were no-shows, despite having been invited by organizers to attend. Both declined.

Trump had originally planned to stop by Trump Tower, where the first lady and their son still live, but that stop was cut.

The president decided to stick around Washington on Thursday afternoon instead to hold a news conference in the Rose Garden, celebrating the passage of a health care bill in the House.

"We have a failing health care. I shouldn't say this to our great gentleman and my friend from Australia, because you have better health care than we do," Trump said to Turnbull.

Unlike the United States, Australia has a government-funded universal health care system.

Trump's visit brought protests to Manhattan's streets. Demonstrators gathered near the Intrepid, and were outside Trump Tower earlier in the day.

The city sanitation department deployed trucks weighed down with sand, which were planted along Fifth Ave. from 56th to 53rd Streets, as an additional form of security. 

Police Commissioner James O'Neill said earlier that the city police department is prepared.

"Should be a good day. There's a lot of pieces we put into place," O'Neill said. "I'm not sure how many times President Obama came into New York City, but each and every time it was a success."

After the Intrepid event, the president left for his golf course in New Jersey, where he is expected to spend the next few days.