NY1 Exclusive: Former Asst. Principal To Be Fired For Inappropriate Contact With Student
Updated: Updated 10/02/2012 12:35 AM
By: Michael Herzenberg
The Department of Education is moving to fire a man who served as assistant principal at the Leon Goldstein High School for the Sciences in Brooklyn because of inappropriate contact with an 18-year-old student.
According to investigators, 2,919 text messages were exchanged between former Assistant Principal Christian Del Re and the student over a three-month period.
Students at Goldstein High seem to like Del Re, who was a teacher at the school before he served as assistant principal.
"We miss him. Hopefully he'll come back," said a student.
That does not seem likely now. The Department of Education says it is moving forward with disciplinary charges against Del Re and will seek his termination. He is no longer at Goldstein High.
What the DOE did not tell students is that the special schools investigator found Del Re, seen above, had inappropriate contact with the 18-year-old student from November through January of the last school year.
They texted like two teenagers, with 1,442 texts from him and 1,477 from her.
The investigation also revealed Del Re called the student after 10 p.m. more than a dozen times. A couple of those calls came close to 3 a.m.
Just after Christmas last year, one of the calls lasted 70 minutes, while another call lasted almost three hours.
At Del Re's home on Staten Island on Monday, neither the former school official nor his wife would comment.
Del Re told investigators he spoke with the teen about problems she was having with other students, boyfriend issues and a job application.
He maintained he never touched her.
The investigation began in January, after other students reported the girl touched his tie and he touched her hair and that the two left school in his car on a few occasions.
Del Re stayed on the job, despite the investigation.
Back on February 17, after an uptick in allegations against DOE staff last school year, Chancellor Dennis Walcott announced that he would remove staffers from interaction with students immediately following allegations of inappropriate behavior.
"I am not going to allow anyone to be in the position of touching our children and having a case substantiated that that took place, and being in our school system," Walcott said at the time.
Education officials had no comment Monday on the apparent discrepancy between the chancellor's words and how Del Re's situation was handled.
Back to list