INTERNATIONAL – In an effort to inspire young girls to become anything they want to be, Barbie is releasing a new line of “Role Model” dolls based on legendary women.
According to a Mattel survey, 86 percent of United States moms said they fear their daughters don’t see enough positive role models.
“Barbie is committed to shining a light on empowering role models past and present in an effort to inspire girls,” stated the Mattel website.
Role Model Dolls will be made for:
- Chole Kim: (Snowboarding champion) Youngest woman to win Olympic gold medal
- Frida Kahlo: (Artist) Combined fantasy and realism to delve into issues of race and class
- Amelia Earhart: (Aviation pioneer) Broke and set aviation world records for women
- Patty Jenkins: (Filmmaker) Directed "Wonder Woman" and "Monster"
- Nicola Adams Obe: (Boxing champion) First woman to win gold medal in boxing
- Ibtihaj Muhammad: (Fencing champion) First Muslim-American woman to wear a hijab while fencing
- Bindi Irwin: (Conservationist) Daughter of Steve Irwin and winner of wildlife conservation award
- Hui Ruoqi: (Volleyball Champion) Created Hui Ruoqi Women’s Volleyball Development Fund
- Ashley Graham: (Model and body activist) Self-proclaimed curvy model pushing for “real beauty” in modeling industry
- Katherine Johnson: (NASA Mathematician and Physicist) Pioneer of mathematics known for breaking race and gender barriers in 1950s
- Misty Copeland: (Principal ballerina) First African-American appointed principal dancer
- Helene Darroze: (World-renowned chef) Has two Michelin stars and three restaurants
- Sara Gama: (Soccer player) Captain of Italian national soccer team
- Martyna Wojciechowska: (Journalist) Explorer, traveler, writer, producer, movie director, fighter for female empowerment
- Gabby Douglas: (Gymnastics champion) First African-American to win individual gymnastics all-around event in 2012
- Xiaotong Guan: (Actress and philanthropist) Known for her movies "Nuan," "The Promise," "The Left Ear"
- Ava Duvernay: (Film director) First African-American female director to be nominated for a Golden Globe and Best Oscar Picture
- Yuan Yuan Tan: (Prima ballerina) Prima ballerina for San Francisco Ballet and guest principal dancer for Hong Kong Ballet
- Leyla Piedayesh: (Designer and entrepreneur) Iran-born founder of fashion label “lala Berlin”