An electrical power strip accidentally sparked a two-alarm Brooklyn house fire that killed a 95-year-old woman Saturday, the city fire department said.
"She was a very church-going woman, went to church, always singing," said Fabiola Benoit, the granddaughter of the victim, who was born in Haiti. "She was a deacon at the church, very God-fearing woman, always praying, teaching us Bible verses and songs and hymns in French and in Creole."
Flames broke out around 3:25 p.m. at the home on East 93rd St. near Avenue K in Canarsie. Police said a nearby house was also on fire.
Anna Barthelemy, who lived in the house, was found in the basement and was pronounced dead at the scene, the city police department said.
Officials said two people, including a firefighter, suffered minor injuries due to the blaze, which was under control by 4:45 p.m.
The fire department said Sunday that smoke alarms were present in the home's first and second floors but were not operational and were not in the basement.
Main story image above of Anna Barthelemy with her granddaughter.