Officials: Con Edison Vault Malfunction Caused Smoke Condition at Empire State Building
The FDNY responded to a smoke condition in the basement of the Empire State Building Friday afternoon that the Empire State Realty Trust says was caused by a Con Edison vault malfunction.
Firefighters say they were called to the iconic skyscraper at 350 Fifth Avenue around 2:20 p.m. Friday.
The FDNY says an electrical transformer was smoking in the basement.
Smoke could be seen on the concourse level.
Firefighters took a hose into the basement and worked with Con Edison to abate the condition.
It took about two hours to get the smoke under control. One hundred members of the FDNY responded.
The Empire State Realty Trust says floors at street level and above were unaffected.
No injuries were reported.
The observatory in the building remained open.