Street in South Bronx to be Co-Named Hip Hop Boulevard
A street in the Bronx is being renamed to honor the borough as the
birthplace of hip-hop.
The section of 1520 Sedgewick Avenue in the South Bronx will be co-named Hip Hop Boulevard.
It's known as the location where DJ Kool Herc and his sister held their first hip-hop party back on August 11, 1973.
The site has been recognized by many as the birthplace of the music genre.
City Councilwoman Vanessa Gibson says the renaming is meant to honor
both Herc and the contributions that the Bronx has made towards
creating hip-hop over the years.
PICTURE OF THE DAY: POKEMON GO
Tune to NY1 on TV, online, on our app, or on Local On Demand Channel 1020 for:
• The New York Times Close Up, Sat. 10pm & Sun. 10am
• On Stage, Sat. & Sun. 9:30am & 7:30pm + Tues. 12:30am
• Talking Pictures, Sat. & Sun. 12:30am + Sat. 12:30pm
• City Health Beat, Sat. 5:30pm & Mon. 12:30am
• In Transit, Fri., Sat. & Sun. 8:45pm
• On Stage Across America on TWC LOD Channel 1020
VOTE FOR YOUR TOP STORY FOR "THE CALL" SHOW