EMT Who Rushed to Aid Choking Brooklyn Student Suspended
An EMT has been suspended from his job after trying to save the life of a 7-year-old girl who choked on food at school last week.
This, as the little girl's family hires an attorney to investigate P.S. 250 in Brooklyn.
Noelia Echavarria (pictured below) was taken to the hospital last Wednesday after she was found unresponsive at her Williamsburg school.
Her family says she is on life support, and that doctors say she is brain dead.
EMT Qwasie Reid - who works for private Assist Ambulance - jumped out to help the child after being flagged down, leaving a nursing home patient in the back with a colleague.
Now he says he's been suspended by the ambulance company for violating policies against technicians leaving their patients.
"I vowed to save a life, lives, as many as I could. That little girl, Noelia, superceded that gentleman that was in my ambulance that day. And I would never change anything if I had to, never," Reid said.
In a statement, the Department of Education says "We believe the principal and faculty responded swiftly to the emergency, notifying 911 and the student's family immediately."
PICTURE OF THE DAY
Tune to Spectrum News NY1 on TV, online, on our app, or on Local On Demand Channel 1020 for:
• The New York Times Close Up, Sat. at 2pm and 10pm
• Talking Pictures, Sat. & Sun. 12:30am + Sat. 12:30pm
VOTE FOR YOUR TOP STORY FOR "THE CALL" SHOW