Dog Recovering In Manhattan Following Electrical Shock
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
A Manhattan dog was still licking his wounds Friday after being shocked on the Upper West Side Thursday night.
The dog, named Buddy, was shocked by an electrical plate on 72nd Street and Amsterdam Avenue.
"This is the side where he was laying on the ground, so I think this is where the electricity was going in or out," said Buddy's owner, Gisele Noel.
Thursday night, during a midnight snack run to Grey's Papaya, Buddy was standing on the electrical plate. The Department of Transportation says it's a control box for the traffic light on 72 Street and Amsterdam Avenue and that the insulation of one of the wires had come loose.
"When he walked on it, I saw him react with his feet," recalled the owner. "I thought he had stepped on something. And then he sat down on it."
Buddy was being shocked. Noel says at first she didn't even know what was happening.
"He was convulsing and yipping the whole time," said Noel. "There was a woman who came from four blocks down to see what was going on. She thought it was a dog fight."
Someone who was familiar with dogs getting shocked by electrical plates came to Noel's rescue, yanking her pet away from the plate.
Buddy had been hit by stray voltage. A day later, his owner says he was still clearly uncomfortable walking by that spot.
"He recognized it as the place he was electrocuted," said Noel. "He was pulling. You can tell his tail's not at ease."
This isn't the first incident of its kind. In February, stray voltage was believed to have killed a dog in Lower Manhattan, and in 2004, East Village resident Jodi Lane was electrocuted while trying to save her dogs as they were being shocked on a sidewalk grate.
Buddy's vet says this kind of incident is more common in the winter, when salt thrown on the ground for snow makes the water on the ground conduct electricity more than it normally would.
"Pets are more susceptible because their bare feet are down on those surfaces whereas people go around with shoes," said the vet.
This incident has left Noel with a big vet bill, but she says she doesn't plan to pursue it with the city.
Con Edison says it came by and fixed the problem earlier today even though the plate is part of the DOT's infrastructure.
For more information about stray voltage, go to www.infraShock.com
- Lily Jamali