Father Of Etan Patz Testifies Against Presumed Killer
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
Twenty-five years after 6-year-old Etan Patz disappeared off the streets of SoHo, never to be seen again, his father took the witness stand Monday to testify against the man who is being held responsible.
Stanley Patz testified in the last phase of a civil proceeding against Jose Ramos, who sits in a Pennsylvania jail for child molestation in another case, and whom a judge ruled earlier this year was responsible for Etan's disappearance.
The Patz family brought the wrongful death suit hoping to stop Ramos from making money from the case.
On Monday, Patz and two other witnesses took the stand to testify about the pain and suffering caused by Ramos' actions. The Patzs are asking for $$5 million in damages.
"Ramos has said on numerous occasions that he wants to sell his story to the press of the media. It would be particularly egregious and awful if after killing this boy, Jose Ramos was able to profit off his death," said Patz family attorney Brian O’Dwyer.
“It’s a consolation prize — that’s the only way it can be viewed,” Stanley Patz said of his testimony. “Until he's prosecuted, there is no justice for Etan."
Etan Patz disappeared on his way to school in 1979. Twice a year the Patz family sends Etan's missing person flyers to Ramos, on Etan's birthday and on the day he went missing. They write "What have you done with my boy?"
Ramos was the boyfriend of Etan's babysitter, but because of a lack of physical evidence, he has never been criminally charged with Etan's death.
Ramos is scheduled to be released from his Pennsylvania prison in 2014.