Updated 01/13/2013 05:48 PM
Flushing Apartment Building Fire Sends One Person To Hospital
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
Fire officials say an accidental electrical fire in an apartment building in the Flushing section of Queens sent one person to the hospital Saturday night.
According to the FDNY, the fire started in a bathroom ceiling fan on the top floor of a seven-story building at 42-02 Kissena Boulevard shortly after 10 p.m.
The fire spread to the roof and grew to four alarms before firefighters got it under control around midnight.
"The fire was on the top floor, it extended to three apartments on the top floor and also into the cockloft, the area above the top floor ceiling and underneath the roof," said FDNY Deputy Assistant Chief Michael Marrone.
"I went outside. It was so high and then they told us, 'Go outside, go outside,'" said one resident. "I was rushing everybody."
One person was taken to the hospital with what were described as moderate injuries.
One firefighter and one other person suffered minor injuries and did not go to the hospital.