Updated 03/07/2011 10:37 PM
Evicted Coney Island Businesses Reach Deal To Stay Another Summer
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
A group of Coney Island businesses, once facing eviction, will be open this summer, under a deal signed Monday evening.
As first reported Sunday on NY1, seven of the eight businesses reached a deal to extend their leases, which expired in November, for another year.
"These are more in character with the Coney Island I remember,” said one longtime patron. “So from my point of view, it'll be fine if they can survive."
The businesses – including Ruby's Bar and Grill and Paul's Daughter – had been battling the issue in court.
The only one of the eight that won't be back is "Shoot the Freak." It was demolished to make way for an entrance to a new amusement park called "Scream Zone."
That new amusement park is being opened by leaseholder Zamperla, which brought Luna Park to Coney Island last year.
Zamperla also wants to bring in a year-round restaurant and more food choices. Some say they welcome a change.
"Maybe some better food stands is a good idea,” said a local. “Or some fresh-squeezed juices could be a good idea."
The ongoing court battle held up any changes on the boardwalk, and there was a possibility no businesses would be operating. Now the old timers will be back for opening day, which is Sunday, April 17th.