Sunday, December 28, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Follow NY1 News on Facebook Follow NY1 News on Google+ Subscribe to this news feed 


NY1 For You: How To Replace Vital Documents Lost In Sandy

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: NY1 For You: How To Replace Vital Documents Lost In Sandy
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

out of 10

Free Video Views Remaining

To get you to the stories you care about, we are offering everyone 10 video views per month.

Access to our video is always free for Time Warner Cable video customers who login with their TWC ID.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

NY1 VIDEO: Many New Yorkers lost vital documents in Hurricane Sandy -- the same documents they need to obtain assistance from FEMA and the state. Here's some information to help if you find yourself in this situation.

How To Replace Documents Lost In A Disaster

One of the dire consequences of any disaster for many people is the loss of important documents. Often, such documents are needed by FEMA and state emergency services in order to process assistance applications for those who suffered losses or damage to their homes and belongings.

If papers are gone -- like birth certificates, Social Security cards, drivers’ licenses, tax records, etc. -- New York state and FEMA are advising residents on how to recover them:

- Birth certificates: If you were born within the confines of the five boroughs of New York City, visit or write to the Office of Vital Records, 125 Worth Street, Room 133, New York, N.Y. 10013. (A photo ID is required both by mail and in person.) The office advises the fastest way to get records is online at . The phone number is (212) 788-4520. To download and print an application, log onto ; to apply online, log onto

- If you were born in New York state outside of New York City, log onto or phone 877-854-4481. This will connect you to a company called VitalChek, which is contracted with the state to handle credit-card orders. There are modest fees involved.

- Drivers’ licenses: Visit any New York Department of Motor Vehicles office. To find an office nearby, log onto and click on "Replace License or ID."
- Social Security cards: Call the U.S. Social Security office at 800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. EST. For TTY users the number is 800-325-0778, or log onto for more information.
- Federal tax reco
rds: Call the Internal Revenue Service at 800-829-1040, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. EST, or log onto

- New York state tax records: For copies of returns, log onto Click on "Get a copy of my return" and fill in the application. You can also apply for a tax-filing and payment extension for those directly affected by Hurricane Sandy at this site.

To prevent further loss of vital documents, place the originals or copies in a sealable plastic bag or other watertight container and secure that container where it is best protected and can easily be located. It is also a good idea to make copies of vital and important documents and mail them to a friend or relative you can trust to keep them safe and retrievable.

Need Help From NY1 For You?

If you'd like "NY1 For You" to look into a problem, call our 24-hour helpline at 212-379-3599 or send an e-mail to ClientIP:, UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 ( Profile: TWCSAMLSP