The State Department has issued a worldwide travel alert for this month because of an unspecified al-Qaida threat, as the department will close several U.S. embassies in the Middle East and Central Asia on Sunday over security concerns.
The department says it believes al-Qaida could be planning attacks, particularly in the Middle East and North Africa.
The alert expires on August 31.
Anyone traveling before then is urged to enroll in the department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, which gives travelers the latest security updates and makes it easier for U.S. embassies and consulates to contact them in the event of an emergency.
Officials say the embassies are being closed out of an abundance of caution after a threat was made, and there is no specific word on how many are closing or when they will reopen.
The U.S. government has faced sharp criticism over poor security at its embassies since last year's attack in Benghazi, Libya that killed four Americans.
The New York City Police Department says the city is not facing any specific terror threats at this time.