Saturday, April 19, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Subscribe to this news feed 

News

Most Mayoral Candidates Say They Wouldn't Pursue Soda Ban If Elected

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Most Mayoral Candidates Say They Wouldn't Pursue Soda Ban If Elected
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

The decision to pursue the city's ban on large sugary beverages may fall to Mayor Michael Bloomberg's successor, but only one of them said they support a ban on large sugary drinks. NY1's Courtney Gross has the story.

The soda ban will likely spill over to the next administration -- it could be 2014 by the time Mayor Michael Bloomberg's fight against large sugary drinks makes its way through the courts.

That could mean it'll be up to his successor whether the ban, and its fight in court, stays or goes.

"I mean a judge has overturned it. Would I let that judge's decision stand? Yes I would," mayoral candidate and former Comptroller William Thompson said. "I just think this is a mistake."

"The judge said it was arbitrary. I always felt that the ban was a publicity stunt," city comptroller and likely mayoral candidate John Liu said. "It does not achieve the objectives."

Of the 10 declared or likely mayoral candidates, only one told NY1 they would pursue the ban.

"I hope the city wins the appeal, and I certainly would continue that policy," public advocate and mayoral candidate Bill de Blasio said. "This is about protecting the health of our families and particularly our children."

Others wouldn't comment on the decision.

"I am both a candidate for mayor and the speaker of the City Council who has just reiterated that I do not support the ban," Christine Quinn said. "But I cannot, given the role I am in, I believe, comment on future actions on this lawsuit given it now relates so closely to this institution. It would just not be responsible."

Joe Lhota has said there should have been more education on the ban. But his campaign wouldn't comment on the decision either.

John Catsimatidis called the decision common sense.

George McDonald's campaign said he would abandon the appeal. So would Adolfo Carrion.

Tom Allon said he would prefer taxing soda than an outright ban on large sugary beverages.

Sal Albanese said he too would scrap it.

All of these opinions may be irrelevant. The Bloomberg administration said the decision is up to the Board of Health -- a body that's independent from City Hall.

Nonetheless, the mayor had some choice words for those that don't want to pursue the ban earlier this week.

"I don't think you should be elected if that isn't what you are trying to do," Bloomberg said.

10.11.12.248 ClientIP: 54.204.163.26, 23.62.7.37 UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) Profile: TWCSAMLSP