Schools Chancellor Carmen Fariña now says that she'll try to find seats for the charter school students displaced by a recent Department of Education decision.
Last week, the DOE said that three charter schools in the Success Academy network would no longer have homes in public school buildings.
One of those schools, Success Academy Harlem 4, was already operational, leaving 194 students without a school for the fall.
The decision inspired Success Academy families and educators to rally in Albany this week, where they gained support from Governor Andrew Cuomo.
In remarks Friday on "Good Day New York," Fariña said that she wants to find a space for the students without hurting students in nearby schools that can't afford to be displaced.
"The school they were in and expanding, we would have had to displace the kids who are presently there, all of which are high-need kids. There are kids in that building that would have to leave to accommodate them," Fariña said. "So one of the things we're proposing is that they were looking for an additional space, we might be able to accommodate the Success Academy."
Fariña added that she was wrong for saying in a previous interview that the kids were on their own.