Two 10th grade students at the Beacon School in Manhattan are being treated for burns after a chemistry class experiment went terribly wrong.
A 16-year-old boy suffered burns to his face and neck. He is in serious condition. A 16-year-old girl is being treated for minor burns to her arm. Both are expected to survive.
Fire officials were called to the Beacon School at West 61st Street at 9:05 a.m.
According to the FDNY, a teacher was in the room leading the experiment.
Deputy Chief Anthony DeVita said a chemical reaction caused a fireball.
“It appeared to be a chemistry lab science experiment. A teacher was reportedly demonstrating how certain chemicals react with others, which you would expect in a science lab setting. Unfortunately, the experiment took a turn for the worst and like I say, there was a fireball resulted from the reaction of the chemicals,” said DeVita.
DeVita said a child apparently helped to put out the flames.
"We have reports of a child who pulled the extinguisher off the wall and extinguished the flames on the two, that's the report we have right now. We haven't found that child yet, but some child apparently pulled the extinguisher out and extinguished the fire," DeVita said.
A student said it was a scary moment.
“It was definitely traumatizing, but at least it’s over. That was scary at the moment, especially being in the room,” said a student.
FDNY officials say fire marshals are on the scene investigating.