Saturday, December 27, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Follow NY1 News on Facebook Follow NY1 News on Google+ Subscribe to this news feed 


Boy Brings Handgun, Flare Gun Inside Queens Elementary School

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Boy Brings Handgun, Flare Gun Inside Queens Elementary School
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

out of 10

Free Video Views Remaining

To get you to the stories you care about, we are offering everyone 10 video views per month.

Access to our video is always free for Time Warner Cable video customers who login with their TWC ID.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

An elementary school in the Far Rockaway section of Queens was placed on lockdown Thursday after a boy in the second grade brought a .22 caliber handgun and a flare gun into the building.

Shortly after 10 a.m., police responded to the WAVE Preparatory Academy at 535 Briar Place and found the two guns and a gun magazine in the seven-year-old boy's book bag.

The student's mother alerted the school after learning her older son placed the weapon inside her younger son's backpack, according to sources, prompting a WAVE Prep staff member to put the entire school building on lockdown. Police said they are investigating the possibility that the gun belonged to the boy's mother or older brother.

Sources told NY1 the gun was not loaded but there were bullets in the bag.

"Me and my class, we were in there, and it was just sad because there were people in the corner and stuff, we had to wait for half an hour," said a student. "And everybody was here. Everybody was just scared, really sad. A whole bunch of parents were crying."

Some parents told NY1 that they were upset that they had no idea what was going on.

They said they never received any early notification, and only found out about the incident at the end of the day.

"I just got a letter when I walked into school, there was a little letter saying an incident happened today," said Eddie Jones, a parent of a student at the school. "They didn't say no time, they didn't report nothing. They said an incident happened today, the school was on lockdown."

Police are still investigating, and it is not known who owns the recovered weapons. ClientIP:, UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 ( Profile: TWCSAMLSP