Sunday, December 28, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Follow NY1 News on Facebook Follow NY1 News on Google+ Subscribe to this news feed 


Brooklyn-Based Family Of Washington Navy Yard Gunman Responds To Events

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: NYPD Ups Security After Deadly DC Navy Yard Shooting
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

out of 10

Free Video Views Remaining

To get you to the stories you care about, we are offering everyone 10 video views per month.

Access to our video is always free for Time Warner Cable video customers who login with their TWC ID.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

Following Monday's shooting at the Washington Navy Yard, which left at least 13 people dead, a gunman shot and killed at the scene has been identified as 34-year-old Aaron Alexis, a Queens native whose family currently resides in Brooklyn. NY1's Michael Herzenberg filed the following report.

Police in the nation's capital say 13 people are dead, including a gunman, following a shooting at the Washington Navy Yard Monday morning. An active search still under way for one other shooter.

Officials say the gunmen first opened fire inside the facility around 8:20 a.m.

A source tells the Associated Press one of the gunmen was shot and killed at the scene.

Sources identify him as Aaron Alexis, 34, of Texas.

The alleged shooter was born in Queens, and his parents live in Brooklyn.

Police guarded Aaron Alexis's parents home throughout the day, shutting down the block as the Federal Bureau of Investigation searched for evidence.

Aaron Alexis' brother-in-law says Alexis' mother and two sisters were home Monday.

"When I got here, they were very distraught, and stressed out, tears. Didn't see it coming. It's very hurtful. Their hearts are going out more to the victims, who got hurt, because you knot it's more lives lost," said Alexis' brother-in-law Anthony Little.

Little says he wasn't close to Alexis, and his wife hadn't seen him in years, but he seemed like a regular guy.

Alexis's father told police his son suffered from anger issues, after Seattle Police arrested Alexis for allegedly shooting the tires of a car over a parking issue in 2004.

Alexis told cops he blacked out, and his father said he suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder, explaining that Alexis actively participated in rescue efforts on 9/11.

"Nothing about him stood out," said Wendy Lopez, a past neighbor of Alexis.

Lopez says Alexis lived in her Flushing building 13 or 14 years ago. He was about 20, but looked much younger.

"Just quiet, a typical teenager I would have said," Lopez said.

It was after that he moved to Seattle and then joined the Navy reserves.

He was in the reserves from 2007 until 2011.

Cops arrested Alexis in 2010 on suspicion of discharging a weapon.

Alexis said at the time it was an accident, and that he was cleaning his weapon.

Hewlett-Packard says he worked for the company as a sub-contractor, specifically on internet service for the Marine Corps and the Navy.

The FBI said late on Monday that Alexis did have valid access to the Navy Yard, with a legitimate pass. ClientIP:, UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 ( Profile: TWCSAMLSP