Thursday, December 25, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Follow NY1 News on Facebook Follow NY1 News on Google+ Subscribe to this news feed 


Hundreds Attend Funeral For Teenager Killed By Police

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Hundreds Attend Funeral Of Teenager Killed By Police
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

out of 10

Free Video Views Remaining

To get you to the stories you care about, we are offering everyone 10 video views per month.

Access to our video is always free for Time Warner Cable video customers who login with their TWC ID.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

A few hundred friends, family and community members attended the Saturday morning funeral of a Brooklyn teenager killed by police two weeks ago -- many saying the boy didn't deserve to die. NY1's Bree Driscoll filed the following report.

Community members gathered to say goodbye to 16-year-old Kimani Gray Saturday morning at Saint Catherine of Genoa Parish on Linden Boulevard.

"Life is short, live every day like it is your last," said Maurici Henry. "I don't know. He was a close friend to me."

But some are questioning the NYPD's account of the events that led to his death.

"Straight honest truth, I think they kill him for real," one man said. "He didn't have any gun and I think they just shot him down."

The 10th grader was shot and killed by police two weeks ago while on the way home from a baby shower.

Police say two officers saw Gray acting suspiciously and adjusting his waistband.

When the officers went to question him, police say Gray pulled a .38-caliber revolver.

The officers shot him seven times.

Family and friends question whether that was necessary.

"Police are always over aggressive, especially in African communities. Because I have seen it more than one time," Gray's friend Conrad Drummond said. "Police react fast. Kind of always thinking negative."

Gray's death led to several days of protests in East Flatbush. At times they turned violent. Police made dozens of arrests.

But Saturday's service remained peaceful.

"Like in any circumstances when something has just happened, there is that sense of retaliation," said Global Christian Ministry Pastor Wilferd Argyl. "With time it goes."

Police set up barricades around the church to control the crowd. Even though was large police presence, they were blocks away from the church -- some even looked on from roof tops.

But even that inspired mixed reaction.

"I really truly respect their distance of getting too close and any type of foolishness exercised," Quincy Jones of Brownsville said. "I am glad they are here too."

"I don't think the family and the friends and the community need the police to be as boisterous as they're being," said community activist Farah Louis.

The two officers involved have been placed on administrative duty.

Meanwhile another march and rally in Grey's honor is being held Sunday, demanding the officers involved be jailed. ClientIP:, UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 ( Profile: TWCSAMLSP