Suspected 9/11 Mastermind Makes Additional Confessions
By: NY1 News
TWC News: Suspected 9/11 Mastermind Makes Additional Confessions
Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
In a transcript released by the U.S. military Thursday, alleged 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed said he is responsible for the beheading of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl.
Pearl was kidnapped and slain in Pakistan in 2002. Mohammed is quoted as saying he decapitated Pearl with his own hand.
A Pentagon spokesman says the Pearl confession was held back so they could notify his family.
In a transcript released by the military Wednesday, Mohammed, the suspected mastermind behind the September 11th World Trade Center attacks, claimed responsibility for planning the events of 9/11.
Mohammed made the confessions during a military hearing Saturday at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, where he is being held.
"I was responsible for the 9/11 operation from A to Z," Mohammed reportedly said in a statement that was read during the session.
He told the tribunal that he's sorry that 3,000 people were killed and that he doesn't like to kill children.
In all, Mohammed said he was responsible for planning nearly 30 attacks, most of which were never executed, including a planned attack on the Empire State Building.
He reportedly said that his confession at the hearing was given without any pressure, threats or duress.
The military hearings, which began last week, are being held to determine whether 14 alleged terrorist leaders should be called “enemy combatants.” The designation means they could be held indefinitely and prosecuted by military tribunals.