Firefighters say a flammable sealant that is not meant to be used indoors caused an explosion at a Brooklyn home yesterday, killing one construction worker and leaving two other seriously injured.
The workers were waterproofing a basement and installing a ritual Jewish bath inside a home on East 31st Street in Midwood. Firefighters say poor ventilation also led to the blast.
They say that the explosion was caused when a power tool was turned on it caused an explosion that blew out a wall and started a fire.
“[There was a] boom - one big, loud explosion. When I looked I saw the whole side of the house, like, shift,” said neighbor Michael Williams.
“The house was smoking and you could see the windows and everywhere were blown out,” said neighbor William Pang.
Antonio Tapia, 27, died at the scene. The other two men are in serious condition with burns on about 85 percent of their bodies.