Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Alert

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Subscribe to this news feed 

News

9/11 Commission Threatens To Subpoena White House Files

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: 9/11 Commission Threatens To Subpoena White House Files
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

The federal commission investigating intelligence and security lapses before the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks is threatening to subpoena White House records if they are not handed over voluntarily.

Thomas Kean, the chairman of the bi-partisan commission, says the administration has failed to hand over intelligence documents that reached the desk of President George Bush in the Oval Office in the weeks leading up to the attacks.

The commission is giving the White House a few weeks to release the highly-classified documents, after which subpoenas could be issued. Kean, the former Republican governor of New Jersey, said continued delays in answering the commission’s requests could result in subpoenas for other agencies of the executive branch as well.

Earlier this month, the commission voted to subpoena the Federal Aviation Administration after deciding that the agency withheld information related to the September 11 hijackings.

The White House says it’s cooperating with the panel.

The National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States was created by the federal government to give a complete account of the circumstances surrounding the September 11 attacks, including intelligence and security failures, and to provide recommendations for preventing future attacks. A final report is due in May.
10.11.12.247 ClientIP: 54.198.36.179, 23.62.6.63, 10.48.37.118 UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) Profile: TWCSAMLSP