Thursday, July 24, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Subscribe to this news feed 

News

Schools Would Stay Open Despite 'Devastating' Strike

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Schools Would Stay Open Despite 'Devastating' Strike
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

While New York City schools will remain open if there is a transit strike, Schools Chancellor Joel Klein says a walkout would be "devastating" for students.

Roughly half of the 1.1 million students who attend public schools rely on buses and subways to get to class. Parents should have been notified by mail of the Department of Education's contingency plans.

Schools would open their doors at the regular times during a strike, but classes would start two hours later. Dismissal time would also stay the same, school bus pick-ups would also be two hours later.

Morning pre-K classes, field trips and most after-school programs would be canceled.

Yellow school bus routes won't be extended, as previously suggested, but drivers will try to accommodate extra children at any of the usual stops.

If, for some reason, classes can't be held, the Department of Education could lose up to $$6 million in state aid. The chancellor said the Transport Workers Union would have to pay.

“We will sue and hold the union accountable for any damages we absorb,” Klein said. “And I will expect that will be our first remedy because that is where they belong.”

Catholic schools are expected to follow the same contingency plan as public schools. For more information, call the Department of Education hotline at 718-482-3777 or go to www.nycenet.edu.
10.11.12.245 ClientIP: 54.237.249.10, 23.0.160.15 UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) Profile: TWCSAMLSP