Hundreds of firefighters gathered Tuesday to say goodbye to one of their own.
A wake was held for 40-year-old Gordon Matthew Ambelas on Staten Island Tuesday.
He died trying to save others from flames in a public housing high-rise in Brooklyn over the weekend.
Ambelas was trapped on the 19th floor.
He leaves behind a wife and two young daughters.
"He was a great guy who always had a smile on his face," said Lieutenant Matthew Komorowski of the FDNY. "And not knowing what type of firefighter he was, it became immediately evident when not too long ago, he went out and saved a little boy trapped in a roll-down gate. We truly did love Matty Ambelas."
"Matt was the best of the best," said Eric Bischoff of the FDNY. "Matt was the best of this department, and he would be incredibly honored by the show of support that he's received here today."
Officials say the fire was caused by a pinched electrical cord.
Ambelas was with the department for 14 years.
His funeral will be Thursday.