Saturday, December 20, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Follow NY1 News on Facebook Follow NY1 News on Google+ Subscribe to this news feed 


Gowanus Factory Shooting Ends in Gunman's Suicide

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Gowanus Factory Shooting Ends in Gunman's Suicide
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

Authorities say a gunman took his own life after critically wounding two others in a shooting incident in Brooklyn Monday morning. NY1's Mahsa Saeidi filed the following report.

It was a terrifying scene inside the C&A Iron Works factory in Gowanus Monday morning. This worker says a casually-dressed man walked in and calmly inquired about a job, an everyday occurrence—until the man opened fire.

"After, he just walk around the shop and start shooting to everybody who was trying to escape. He shoot once to me but he missed," said one worker.

Caught off guard, many workers in the factory on 13th Street weren't sure what was happening.  

"First, it's like, maybe somebody is, like, shot down in the concrete, shooting some woods, doing some maintenance. It's almost the same sound, but after when we saw the guy with the gun, we understand it's not a construction worker," the worker said.

"After the shooting, the male suspect entered the toolroom on the 1st floor," said NYPD Patrol Chief James O'Neill.

That's when the police standoff began. The alleged gunman barricaded himself alone in a storage room.

Hostage negotiations teams spoke with him for about 45 minutes, when they say, unprovoked, he fatally shot himself.   

"We thought we had a positive dialogue going with him, but then, finally, he just made a decision, and he just pulled the trigger," said Lt. Jack Cambria, Hostage Negotiations Commanding Officer.

Before that, police say the suspect threw out his car keys. And inside a van, police say they found a shotgun and shells.  

He also allegedly threw out an object that looked like a pipe bomb.   

"It was a centrifugal device. It was black, looked like it had some wires coming out of it—so just erring on side of caution, emergency services secured it to a safe location where the bomb squad responded," Cambria said.

People in buildings nearby were evacuated while the apparent bomb was examined. 
I grabbed what I could grab—it was my radio and my phone and I ran. I left everything else inside, because they said 'bomb,' I said, 'I'm leaving,'" another worker said.

Police say it appears the suspect had no connection to the factory or the victims. ClientIP:,, UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 ( Profile: TWCSAMLSP