Friday, December 26, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Follow NY1 News on Facebook Follow NY1 News on Google+ Subscribe to this news feed 


Teen Charged in Fatal Stabbing of Bronx Classmate Held Without Bail

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Teen Charged in Fatal Stabbing of Bronx Classmate Held Without Bail
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

out of 10

Free Video Views Remaining

To get you to the stories you care about, we are offering everyone 10 video views per month.

Access to our video is always free for Time Warner Cable video customers who login with their TWC ID.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

A 14-year-old accused of killing one of his classmates outside I.S. 117 in the Bronx is being held without bail on murder and manslaughter charges. NY1's Michael Herzenberg filed the following report.

A grand jury will decide whether Noel Estevez deserves the charges he faces, second-degree murder and manslaughter.

Prosecutors say the 14-year-old admitted to police, "The kid kept hitting me four or five times, so I stabbed him."

"He's holding up OK," said Eric Poulos, Estevez's attorney. "He's upset, as you can imagine, upset at what happened, terribly contrite about what happened, but he feels like he was victim, victimized."

Estevez's attorney says before the stabbing, his client was hit and kicked in the face and body outside I.S. 117 Wednesday by a group of kids that included the victim, 14-year-old Timothy Crump.

Crump was not in school at the time. He's on suspension for the year after punching another child in the mouth in December.

Sources say detectives are investigating whether Crump robbed Estevez, but Crump's neighbor, Tyrone Rivers, told NY1 Wednesday that the teen was a good kid who looked to help others.

"Timothy, he was the quietest person on this block," Rivers said. "He wasn't no bully. He wasn't no troublemaker. None of that."

Crump was actually friends with Estevez. They're pictured together at left. However, they had a falling out before Estevez left school three months ago.

He only recently returned after getting mental health treatment, at least in part, for bullying. A caregiver said he hid in his room.

"This is for a whole three months. He barricaded himself," the caregiver said. "He doesn't want to come out."

She said he was scared.

Estevez's attorney claims the stabbing had roots in the bullying.

"What led to it was three months of terror," Poulos said. "They were after him for three months. They couldn't find him because he stayed behind closed doors. He came out of closed doors, and they sicced on him."

NY1 has been unable to speak with Crump's family members about what they believe happened. A security guard outside the apartment building prevented us from getting in.

The judge set Estevez's next court date for next week.

Related Stories ClientIP:, UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 ( Profile: TWCSAMLSP