Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Subscribe to this news feed 

News

Wrongfully Convicted Man Seeks $162M from City

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Wrongfully Convicted Man Seeks $162M from City
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

A man recently exonerated after serving 25 years in prison on a wrongful murder conviction plans to sue the city for more than $160 million.

Jonathan Fleming's lawyer says he filed what's called a notice of claim with the comptroller's office.

It's the first step toward suing the city.

Fleming was convicted in the shooting death of Darryl Rush in Williamsburg in 1989, despite claims he was at Disney World at the time of the victim's death.

He was released in April after the Brooklyn District Attorney's office said it now agrees that his alibi was valid.

Fleming is seeking nearly $162 million in damages.

The comptroller's office had no comment.

Earlier this year, the city settled with David Ranta for $6.5 million.

He spent more than 20 years in prison on a wrongful murder conviction.

Related Stories

10.11.12.248 ClientIP: 54.196.181.109, 23.62.6.63, 10.48.37.151 UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) Profile: TWCSAMLSP