Friday, November 28, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Follow NY1 News on Facebook Follow NY1 News on Google+ Subscribe to this news feed 

News

Comptroller Report Blames Sandy for Delay in MTA 9/11 Security Project

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Comptroller Report Blames Sandy for Delay in MTA 9/11 Security Project
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

A new report by the state comptroller says Hurricane Sandy delayed a project to ramp up the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's security program after the September 11th attacks.

The storm flooded nine underwater subway tunnels, and several stations.

The report says it also did a number on a program to bring thousands of cameras to stations and tunnels, though.

State Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli says the Electronic Security Program was already delayed and over budget—and now it'll take an extra three years just to finish phase one.

However, the MTA says it's added 4,000 cameras since 9/11—and despite the hurricane, it'll finish the project by 2015.

"We had to divert resources due to Sandy. And then, obviously there was some damage that we saw to the equipment as a result of a Sandy, specifically in our tubes," said MTA spokesman Kevin Ortiz.

"Progress has been made. Certainly the system is safer today than it was on September 11, 2001. But these delays and cost overruns mean that more time, more effort has to go into completing the MTA security program," Di Napoli said.

DiNapoli's report says even before Sandy, the cost of phase one had already nearly doubled to $883 million.

The report says the MTA has to spend more of its own money on projects like this because federal funding has dropped.

10.11.12.244 ClientIP: 54.161.210.58, 23.0.160.31 UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) Profile: TWCSAMLSP