A judge has dismissed the city's case to ban dozens of co-locations between public and charter schools.
Last December, Letitia James, who had just been elected public advocate, brought the lawsuit to block the co-locations that had been approved by Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
On Friday, a judge ruled that James did not exhaust all administrative options before going to the courts.
"We're very pleased with the result, obviously," said charter school attorney Susan Shin. "This is a good day for children who attend the charter schools who can now rest easy that they can attend schools without the threat of these various litigations threatening to take away their schools."
In a statement, the New York City Charter school center also called it a win for the kids.
CEO James Merriman said, "We hope that Ms. James will finally move on from this waste of taxpayer money and use the power of her office to work for the interest of our city's lowest-income kids, instead of working in cahoots with the teachers' union to gum up the works."
NY1 has reached out to James for comment.