Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Subscribe to this news feed 

News

Men Charged in 1 WTC Parachute Stunt Plead Not Guilty

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Men Charged in 1 WTC Parachute Stunt Plead Not Guilty
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

Four men accused of taking part in a B.A.S.E. jump from 1 World Trade Center last year appeared inside a Lower Manhattan court Tuesday where they pleaded not guilty to a list of charges.

Marko Markovich of Brooklyn, James Brady, an iron worker who helped build the tower, and Andrew Rossig, who lives upstate, are accused of sneaking into the tower and parachuting more than 1,300 feet from the top of the building.

The fourth man, Kyle Hartwell, is accused of helping them pull off the stunt on September 30 by acting as a lookout on the ground.

Lawyers for the men want the felony charge of burglary they are facing knocked down to a misdemeanor.

The burglary charge carries a possible sentence of seven years in prison.

"What they have done is tried to charge it as a burglary, claiming they unlawfully entered the building with the intent to commit a crime inside the building, which just from a legal standpoint B.A.S.E. jumping by its very nature is committed outside a building," said Rossig's attorney, Timothy Parlatore.

"It was planned out to the extent that they knew the winds, they knew the traffic patterns. These were experts," said Brady's attorney, Andrew Mancilla.

The mens' court appearance came as new video of the stunt was released online.

The clip was posted Monday on YouTube.

It shows a different perspective of the base jump that took place.

Rossig said if it were legal he would do it again, and went further saying given the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center, parachute training could actually give those who live or work in tall buildings another option in emergency situations.

"I think it is a realistic possibility that, you know, the City of New York and people who live and work in high rise buildings to see base jumping as a last-case scenario to, you know, be able to save themselves," Rossig said.

The four men say they never intended for the incident to become public but now that it has their attorneys say they're hopeful for a plea deal that involves their clients shedding light on the security flaws they say still exist at the World Trade Center.

All four men are due back in court in June.

Related Stories

10.11.12.248 ClientIP: 54.81.75.69, 23.62.7.55, 10.48.37.151 UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) Profile: TWCSAMLSP