An member of the extended British royal family has died after an accident in the city.
Representatives for Prince Charles say his brother-in-law, Mark Shand, died Wednesday.
Early Wednesday morning, police say the 62-year-old was at a Manhattan bar after attending a charity auction at Sotheby's on the Upper East Side.
He stepped outside to smoke a cigarette, according to police, and when he tried to re-enter the building through a revolving door, he fell backwards and hit his head.
He was taken to a hospital and pronounced dead later in the morning.
A medical examiner will determine the exact cause of death.
Shand was a travel writer and conservationist.