Monday, December 22, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Follow NY1 News on Facebook Follow NY1 News on Google+ Subscribe to this news feed 


FDNY Probes Cause of Five-Alarm Fire in Jackson Heights

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: FDNY Probes Cause of Five-Alarm Fire in Jackson Heights
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

out of 10

Free Video Views Remaining

To get you to the stories you care about, we are offering everyone 10 video views per month.

Access to our video is always free for Time Warner Cable video customers who login with their TWC ID.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

Investigators are trying to figure out what sparked a fire inside a commercial building in Queens.

The flames broke out just before 6 p.m. Monday on the third floor of the building located at 7409 37th Avenue in Jackson Heights, and eventually spread to the fourth floor.

"Customers were shopping, the workers were in the back in the office. We got them all out quickly. Thank god everybody was safe. We just locked the door behind us and we watched the whole thing all night long," said Frank Buonagurio, a business owner affected by the fire.

It took about 200 firefighters nearly six hours to get the fire under control.

Firefighters said smoke and wind made their work difficult.

"It's just a stubborn fire," said Assistant Chief Thomas Jensen of the FDNY. "There was areas in the rear of the building where the tower ladders couldn't reach, certain areas that we couldn't get water on right away. So it's just a stubborn fire."

"There was flames everywhere, smoke everywhere and everything burnt to ashes within half an hour," said Tanveer Ahmad, a business owner affected by the fire.

Three minor injuries were reported including a teenage boy who was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

The upper floors of the building are occupied by Plaza College, but the school says there were no classes going on when the fire broke out.

City Councilman Daniel Dromm, who represents the area, says there are 50 small businesses and several non-profits in the building, making for an uncertain future for owners and employees who worked inside. ClientIP:,, UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 ( Profile: TWCSAMLSP