Thursday, October 23, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Follow NY1 News on Facebook Follow NY1 News on Google+ Subscribe to this news feed 

News

Schumer Rips Port Authority for Security Breaches at World Trade Center

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Schumer Rips Port Authority for Security Breaches at World Trade Center
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

The World Trade Center site is one of the highest profile areas in the country, but after two security breaches, Senator Charles Schumer wants the federal government to review whether enough is being done to protect the site.

Senator Schumer ripped into the Port Authority for two security lapses at a press conference on Sunday.

In separate incidents, months apart, people gained access to One World Trade Center, a site he called one of the country's most visible terror targets.

In September, police say three people got into the building, made it up to the top, and then parachuted off it. Video of the stunt recently appeared online. Four people have been charged in connection with that incident.

Earlier this month 16-year-old Justin Casquejo was accused of sneaking his way to the top of 1 World Trade. As a result of this, David Velasquez, a top security official, is resigning. He's with the Durst Organization which is responsible for securing the building.

The Port Authority is responsible for securing the site's perimeter.

Schumer wants the Department of Homeland Security to do a comprehensive review of the Port Authority's procedures during construction and after all the buildings at the site are completed.

He also wants the training of security guards reviewed. And he wants an audit of federal money spent at the site to make sure it's being put to good use.

“Thankfully the incidents of trespassing were harmless, the consequences however could've been disastrous if individuals or terrorists or criminals looking to do real harm to the people of New York,” Schumer said.

Schumer stopped short of saying whether the NYPD or the federal government should take over securing the site from the Port Authority. In a statement Port Authority security chief Joseph Dunne said the PA and the Durst organization have taken significant steps to address the two most recent breaches.

He added, "The Port Authority and other stakeholders will continue to enhance our extensive efforts to ensure world-class security as we transition from a construction site to an operating facility."

The Port Authority also says the Department of Homeland Security toured the site on December 6 and in light of the most recent breaches, they'll be invited back for an additional tour.

10.11.12.248 ClientIP: 50.19.169.37, 23.0.160.31 UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) Profile: TWCSAMLSP