Monday, October 20, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Follow NY1 News on Facebook Follow NY1 News on Google+ Subscribe to this news feed 

News

Cuomo Announces State Will Preserve $500 Million in SNAP Benefits After Feds Cut Funds

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Cuomo Announces State Will Preserve $500 Million in SNAP Benefits After Feds Cut Funds
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

Governor Andrew Cuomo says the state will preserve nearly $500 million in food stamp benefits for families affected by federal cuts to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.

Cuomo says the state will do that by funneling several million dollars to the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program. He says increasing the assistance will allow households to remain eligible for the highest SNAP allowance, negating the impact of the cuts.

The move will maintain SNAP benefit levels for nearly 300,000 New York households.

The cut would have meant a loss of about $127 a month for New York families.

Earlier this month, President Barack Obama signed the Farm Bill that cut food stamp benefits by nearly $9 billion. The cut came on the heels of an earlier SNAP benefit reduction that went into effect last November.

Related Stories

10.11.12.247 ClientIP: 54.161.235.83, 23.62.6.63 UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) Profile: TWCSAMLSP