A gas leak that forced the evacuation of several homes on Staten Island Wednesday is now under control.
The FDNY says firefighters answered a call of a gas smell in Dongan Hills around 5 p.m.
While looking for the source of the leak, a fire broke out in the basement of a house in the area.
The fire was quickly brought under control.
Two people inside the home suffered serious injuries, and a firefighter hurt his back.
There were some reports of an explosion, but those have not been confirmed by the fire department.
"I was scared, but it didn't shake things, but it was just loud enough. And I could see all the firefighters running towards the house, so I knew something had happened," said one resident.
"We heard a little explosion, it wasn't too loud. I really didn't know what it was, but they came knocking on our doors and told us we had to get out," said another resident.
It's still not clear where the gas leak was coming from.