The New York City Fire Department says three people were injured Wednesday in an explosion at a home in the Dongan Hills section of Staten Island.
It happened at a house on Delaware Street.
According to the FDNY, there was an odor of gas in the neighborhood at approximately 5 p.m., and there was a report of a fire in the basement of the home at approximately 6:50 p.m.
Firefighters believe the explosion was caused by a gas leak.
They evacuated homes in the area while they searched for the source of the gas leak.
The FDNY said that two residents were injured.
In addition, officials said that a firefighter suffered a serious back injury but is said to be in stable condition.
Neighbors said that they saw one person being taken out of the home.
"He looked OK," said one resident. "One of the firemen that I spoke with was in the house when it happened, and he said everybody was OK."
"The fire department came in, tested the house for gas. There was no presence of gas, and we were cleared to go back in the house," said another resident.
"Other people on the bus, they were able to go home. Anyone who lived above Overlook, they were able to go home," said a third. "We were told they're digging in front of where we live, so we're not able to go home."
The Red Cross brought in a heating bus for evacuated residents.