Friday, December 26, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Follow NY1 News on Facebook Follow NY1 News on Google+ Subscribe to this news feed 


Family Wants Answers After 4-Year-Old Leaves School Unnoticed

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Family Wants Answers After 4-Year-Old Leaves School Unnoticed
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

out of 10

Free Video Views Remaining

To get you to the stories you care about, we are offering everyone 10 video views per month.

Access to our video is always free for Time Warner Cable video customers who login with their TWC ID.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

The family of a 4-year-old Brooklyn boy is looking for answers after they say he was allowed to wander out of school in the cold Thursday morning. NY1's Mahsa Saeidi filed the following report.

Quantasia Jasper shudders thinking about what could have happened to her little boy Seymir.

"His finger could have got smashed in the door," she said. "He could have tried to cross the street."

The 4-year-old left school unnoticed Thursday and made his way home alone, without a coat, in the freezing cold. 

"He looked really nervous, and I asked him was OK, and he said he was scared, and I asked them what happened, and he told me he was in the bathroom, it was dark and no one was there," Jasper said.

It happened at around 10 a.m. Thursday at P.S. 59 on Throop Avenue.  Jasper's son, who is in pre-kindergarten, asked to use the restroom. Afterwards, he apparently got lost. Unsupervised, he walked home. Thankfully, home is on the same block as his school.

Community leaders say Seymir deserves praise. 

"He knew how to get home," said community advocate Tony Herbert. "He got on the elevator and pressed the number 2 to go upstairs."

Meanwhile, in a letter sent home to parents Friday, principal Dawn Best acknowledged the incident, saying that additional security measures would be taken, such as installing alarms on doors and expediting an already approved order for surveillance cameras. Community leaders say that's not good enough.  

"Somebody's got to be fired behind this and be held accountable so it doesn't happen again," Herbert said.

The death of Avonte Oquendo weighed heavily on everyone's mind and heart. The 14-year-old's body was found months after he walked out of his Queens public school. A funeral service is being held for the teen Saturday in Greenwich Village. 

"Tomorrow, we're burying a young man who left his school undetected, and nobody knew where he was until we all found out his remains washed up in College Point," Herbert said.

Although Seymir was not hurt, his parents say they are pulling him out of P.S. 59.
Department of Education officials say the Special Commissioner's Office is investigating. ClientIP:, UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 ( Profile: TWCSAMLSP