Thursday, December 18, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Follow NY1 News on Facebook Follow NY1 News on Google+ Subscribe to this news feed 


No Serious Injuries Reported After Small Plane Lands on Major Deegan in Bronx

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: No Serious Injuries Reported After Small Plane Lands on Major Deegan in Bronx
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

A small plane made an emergency landing on the Major Deegan Expressway on Saturday afternoon, but the three people on board made it out safely and no serious injuries were reported.

The unplanned landing occurred in the northbound lane of the Deegan near exit 13 at approximately 3:20 p.m.

According to authorities, a male pilot and two women were on board the plane, a Piper Cub, which sustained some damage.

All three passengers were treated for non-life threatening injuries and transported to St. Barnabas Hospital.

"Anytime you have an airplane crash and you survive, it's really pretty lucky so we're very grateful that they were lucky," said NYPD Chief of Department Philip Banks.

According to the Office of Emergency Management, the Piper Cherokee aircraft departed Danbury, Connecticut on a tour around the Statue of Liberty. On the return flight back to Danbury, the aircraft experienced an on board emergency, resulting in a controlled landing onto the expressway.

The Piper fixed-wing single engine plane is registered to Michael Schwartz of South Salem in Westchester, according to the Federal Aviation Administration website.

Investigators are looking at what caused the emergency landing.

Five Department of Transportation workers helped control traffic after the plane landed.

Supervisor Miguel Lopez says they were on pothole patrol, when they saw the plane coming down, and sprang into action. 
"We started slowing down the traffic so no body get hurt," Lopez said. "The plane hit the ground it came straight down and hit the tree tops."

The National Transportation Safety Board said the pilot reported engine trouble prior to landing on the highway.

About 42 gallons of gas was removed from the plane by emergency responders before being lifted off the busy roadway.

Mayor Bill de Blasio said he thought it was a bit of a miracle that no one was seriously hurt. ClientIP:, UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 ( Profile: TWCSAMLSP