Fire marshals say a damaged extension cord is to blame for a fire that killed a 91-year-old woman and her 63-year-old son Wednesday morning inside their Brooklyn home.
The New York City Fire Department says flames broke out shortly before 4 a.m. inside the two-story home located at 840 East 15th Street in Midwood.
It took firefighters about 40 minutes to get the fire under control.
Four other members of the family escaped with minor injuries, including a young child.
One man at the scene tells NY1 the 63-year-old man was his uncle, Charlie Sejour. He said a lot of family has come through the house over two decades.
"My grandma was in there, my uncle was in there. I was living there before I got married and moved out. And that's - my uncle, his wife, my grandma his three kids," said the man.
Next door neighbor Intazar Dar says he knew Sejour for two decades. He was the one who called 911, after he heard a woman screaming about her relatives trapped inside.
"First floor door was open I tried to call Charlie, she said my husband is inside, my daughter and my grandmother is inside. I was screaming three four times, fire was too hot. Tried to hit the door too but was too hot," Dar said.
Firefighters say access was difficult because the house sits right next to a fence overlooking train tracks.
"There was a large volume of fire on arrival house and as you can see the building is on a dead end street with the railroad cut, so it takes different time but we were under control in an hour," said FDNY Deputy Chief Michael Ajello.
Dar says the last time he saw Charlie, he was smiling. And for that he's glad.
"Morning time he was passing me in the car, I said, 'Hi.' I said, 'Charlie you good?' He said 'Yes I'm good.' Very nice man. Goes to church all the time," he recalled.
Dar also said another man pitched in to help some of the family escape through a back door, and that it was that effort that likely saved the young child.