Sunday, December 21, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Follow NY1 News on Facebook Follow NY1 News on Google+ Subscribe to this news feed 


Report: Brooklyn Native Shot In DC Chase Was Delusional

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Report: Brooklyn Native Shot In DC Chase Was Delusional
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

A Brooklyn-raised woman who was killed by Washington DC police yesterday after trying to crash her car through a barrier at the White House was reportedly struggling with mental health issues.

The woman has been identified as Miriam Carey, 34, of Stamford, Connecticut.

Carey worked as a dental hygienist in the town of Hamden.

An official tells the Associated Press Carey was delusional and believed President Barack Obama had communicated with her.

Video shows Carey's car being surrounded by police outside the White House Thursday afternoon.

She managed to escape and took off for the Capitol building, which was briefly placed on lockdown.

After a chase, police cornered Carey about a block northeast of the Capitol and opened fire, killing her.

A 1-year-old girl who was also in the car was not injured.

She was taken into protective custody.

The FBI later searched Carey's apartment in Stamford, but it's not clear if investigators picked up any evidence.

Investigators say they believe Carey, who grew up in Brooklyn, acted alone and did not have any links to terrorism.

Some of her family members, including her mother, live in Bedford-Stuyvesant.

Relatives were seen leaving their apartment Friday morning, bound for Washington DC to retrieve Carey's body.

Police had cordoned off the block to keep reporters at bay, but it turned into some stressful moments for a family grappling with tragedy.

Neighbor Freddie Perera says he spoke with Carey's brother-in-law just before they drove off.

"They were telling the cops you want the cab to come down here to pick up the family cause they going to Washington to pick the body up but they still wouldn't let him in," he said.

Perera says during the few times he saw Miriam last year, he did not notice anything wrong.

Sources also tell NY1 the family had not been notified of her death, and found out about the incident from media reports.

"It's like anyone else. How would you feel, you know? You see these things happen to people and you wonder how did this happen? It's out of the ordinary, so of course they're shocked as family members as well as how this whole thing occurred because no one really knows the exact circumstances of how this really occurred. That's a whole other part of this investigation on the family's side," said Eric Sanders, the family's attorney and spokesman.

Sanders says the family will release a formal statement Friday evening. ClientIP:,, UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 ( Profile: TWCSAMLSP