Sunday, December 28, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Follow NY1 News on Facebook Follow NY1 News on Google+ Subscribe to this news feed 


Bystanders Recover After Being Accidentally Shot By Police Trying To Subdue Brooklyn Man

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Bystanders Recover After Being Accidentally Shot By Police Trying To Subdue Brooklyn Man
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

out of 10

Free Video Views Remaining

To get you to the stories you care about, we are offering everyone 10 video views per month.

Access to our video is always free for Time Warner Cable video customers who login with their TWC ID.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

A Brooklyn man is under observation and facing multiple charges, after sparking a wild scene Saturday night at a busy Manhattan intersection, where police trying to subdue the man accidentally shot two bystanders. NY1's Mahsa Saeidi filed the following report.

Cell phone video captured the chaotic scene, as police opened fire at 42nd street and 8th avenue on Saturday night just outside the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

Police say their target was a man who had been blocking traffic, even throwing himself in front of moving cars, before challenging the cops who were trying to apprehend him.

"He walked towards this way, then turned around and pulled what looked like a gun out of his pocket and then pointed it at the cop pretending to fire at him," one witness said.

At that point, Police Commissioner Ray Kelly says the officers used their guns.

"One officer fired one shot, not striking the individual. Another officer, who had responded to the scene, fired two shots at the individual, also not striking him," Kelly said.

A 54-year-old woman, who was using a walker, was shot in the knee. A 35-year-old woman was grazed by a bullet.

Both are in stable condition.

Even after the shots were fired, and although he was surrounded by officers with guns drawn, the man continued trying to evade police, until a large group of officers were able to take him down.

Police say the man was tasered and taken to the hospital.

Q: Did you think he had a gun?

"Yeah, I thought so," a witness said.

Tourists NY1 spoke with said that in spite of what happened here, they still felt safe in the city.  

"These things happen, so we just got to be careful," said one tourist.

"I will tell you that I feel very, very safe here. I love the city, we love visiting it, and we'll be back again shortly," another tourist said.

Police identified the man at the incident as 35 year-old Glenn Broadnax.

He is facing multiple charges, including menacing and disorderly conduct.

Police described him as emotionally disturbed, and officials say he was hospitalized for observation. ClientIP:, UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 ( Profile: TWCSAMLSP